FC4 kernel performance

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Thu Jun 23 23:54:24 UTC 2005

Paul A Houle wrote:

>    Disk-based backup ~is~ viable in various forms.  For instance,  it's
> quite practical to back up stuff disk to a USB 2.0 or Firewire drive,
> and it will finish faster than paint dries.  I've found that network
> backup onto disks works too:  but anything that's marketed explictly as
> a product for backup seems to be a scam.

My favourite backup method is rsync'ing to an HD of
the same size, mounted on another server in a different
room.

This way I can run daily, unattended backups and be
reasonably protected against fire and robbery.

Today, hard disks are larger, faster, more affordable
and more reliable than tapes or other removable media.

If only I could use a compressed r/w filesystem for
the backup disk, I'd save a few bucks.  JFFS2 is
the only mature filesystem that can do that, but
it doesn't appear to be usable with very large
partitions.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/