rpm packages of thunderbird/firefox extensions

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jun 24 12:35:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 04:50:49AM -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Is it possible?  Yes.  Is it easy?  Not really, due to the way that the
> extension manager works in Firefox 1.0 -- the extension manager in
> Firefox 1.1 is much nicer and works better with Linux.  I also don't
> provide devel packages for either because of some packaging conflict
> issues with the mozilla package, so it is slightly more difficult as well.

Hey Christopher -- is the new extension manager going to deal with the
updating-per-user-extensions-and-themese issue at all? Or is the idea going
to be to break that completely and ask people to install extensions
system-wide?

Or, is there any way to mix-and-match gracefully?

> I'm actually working on packaging up Deer Park Alpha 1, which is a very
> early alpha release of Firefox 1.1, which should hit rawhide soon.  I
> will also get preview builds of xulrunner which should help to alleviate
> this problem.  I hope the situation will be much nicer for FC5.

Me too. :)

Oh, on a totally 'nother topic -- I saw some work recently on python
bindings for XPCOM. Is that likely to make it into XULRunner in the, like,
predicatable future? That would so rock.