C++ compatibility package dropped

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 07:37:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:29:11AM -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 19:19 -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > Is it really that hard to check that group in if you want to use
> > legacy software?  Not everybody uses legacy software, so forcing
> > it for everyone in the base group is a bad idea IMHO.
>
> Well, it is simply because things will silently break without
> the user having any clue WTF is wrong. And yeah, 'forcing' it

As long as the legacy programs people are installing are packaged
as rpm, yum or other package managers can handle the dependencies
just fine, so I don't see how is that a silent break.
If not using a package manager, you take the responsibility
of satisfying the dependencies yourself.

> for everyone is not such a bad idea, all they lose is a little
> HD space. If we start arguing about a few megabytes, this is not
> the place to save them.

The argument that Core needs to include everything just because
some not properly packaged third party software might ever need
it would is certainly not going to fly.  What is so special
about compatibility libstdc++?

	Jakub