FC4 kernel performance

Ville Herva vherva at vianova.fi
Sat Jun 25 12:07:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 06:55:39AM +0200, you [Bernardo Innocenti] wrote:

> I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I envy NTFS's transparent
> file compression.  Yes, it's very slow for general use, but it
> would be ideal for backups, old log files, etc.
>
> ext2 has had an unsupported "compressed" attribute for years.
> Perhaps it's extremely difficult to implement, but a very
> desiderable feature that Linux still lacks.

I've been running 2.2 kernel with the e2compr patch for years and it is very
reliable.

There are 2.4 and 2.6 patches, see http://e2compr.sourceforge.net/. The 2.4
patches weren't stable when I tried them years ago, but I understand Tim
Southerwood is doing some 2.6 work now.

And yes, it is very useful for backups.

-- v --

v at iki.fi