Cairo [was: rawhide report: 20050621 changes]

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 13:02:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 22:13 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 22 juin 2005 à 22:54 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
> > Le mercredi 22 juin 2005 à 14:28 -0400, Jon Nettleton a écrit :
> >
> > > Everything is working great so far.  As per an earlier email on this
> > > thread you have to go into /usr/bin/firefox and /usr/bin/mozilla and
> > > uncomment.
> > >
> > > MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
> > > export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO
> >
> > Thanks, I had missed this part
>
> The new firefox package works as-is BUT it ignores the desktop DPI
> value. In my case that means all firefox GUI elements have a different
> text size than in other apps.
>
> RHAAA real screens are not limited to 96dpi. Whoever started hardcoding
> this value everywhere à la windows did the Unix desktop a great
> disservice.

If firefox is ignoring the DPI setting, that isn't a reason for whining,
that's a reason for filing a bug.

But, actually, are you sure that firefox isn't *paying attention* to
your DPI value while everything else is ignoring it? The DPI setting
from gnome-font-properties isn't currently honored by GTK+ at the
moment: it's part of the same set of stuff that needs to be hooked back
up as hinting settings, etc.

In terms of whether the DPI for font size specification to pixel sizes
should be equal to the physical DPI of the screen: that's been discussed
a lot elsewhere so I'm not going to get into it here.

Regards,
						Owen