Cairo [was: rawhide report: 20050621 changes]

Sat Jun 25 16:51:28 UTC 2005

Le samedi 25 juin 2005 à 09:02 -0400, Owen Taylor a écrit :
> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 22:13 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > > Thanks, I had missed this part
> >
> > The new firefox package works as-is BUT it ignores the desktop DPI
> > value. In my case that means all firefox GUI elements have a different
> > text size than in other apps.
> >
> > RHAAA real screens are not limited to 96dpi. Whoever started hardcoding
> > this value everywhere à la windows did the Unix desktop a great
> > disservice.
>
> If firefox is ignoring the DPI setting, that isn't a reason for whining,
> that's a reason for filing a bug.
>
> But, actually, are you sure that firefox isn't *paying attention* to
> your DPI value while everything else is ignoring it? The DPI setting
> from gnome-font-properties isn't currently honored by GTK+ at the
> moment: it's part of the same set of stuff that needs to be hooked back
> up as hinting settings, etc.

I honestly don't know which one it's ignoring.
I spent quite a long time hunting the 96dpi references last year, and
firefox still finds a way to use a different size of the rest of the
desktop, so it's ignoring all the changes I made at the time

ALL GUI APPS SHOULD USE THE DPI VALUE REPORTED BY X

I'm sick to death of searching for all the tuneables various apps
writers put all over the place to override this value.

Alternatively, let's all the bright people that decided individually
this value was not good enough for them agree where they should fetch it
from so I have a _single_ place to sync it with xdpyinfo manually.

And I'm not whining, I'm reporting a problem, because most of the
developers I know only use 96dpi so they won't see this
(1.  X is reporting a bad dpi value/I don't knwo how to read the X dpi
value - let's add a tuneable to override it ! (instead of fixing X)
2. app 2 now looks different than app #1 - let's add another tuneable in
app #2
99. we have dpi settings all over the place - too much work to fix it,
everyone should use 96dpi anyway)

Sorry if I'm undiplomatic - this has been broken for so long a time I'm
not finding it the least funny anymore.

--
Nicolas Mailhot