C++ compatibility package dropped

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun Jun 26 20:11:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:58:49 +0200, Carl-Johan Kjellander wrote:
> Won't the ones making those rpms have to look into the future and require
> that compat-libstdc++-XX is installed, even though that package doesn't
> exist yet for the current FC version?

The problem is that:

a) This requires every RPM to be in a yum repository. Usually if they
   aren't in Extras, FreshRPMs, Dag or somesuch then they are just an RPM on
   a download page. Then automatic dep resolution doesn't work.

b) As the package is considered legacy, at some point it'll probably
   disappear entirely like NPTL is going to do (argh).

So apart from shipping a private copy of the standard library there isn't
really anything you can do here, except try and become a part of the "in
crowd" by getting into Fedora Extras which puts you at the whim of Red Hat
legal   (and obviously doesn't work at all for commercial/free-as-in-beer
software like RealPlayer). I know Real have got the same problem with
libstdc++.so.5 disappearing, tech support requests are starting to appear.

thanks -mike