C++ compatibility package dropped

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Jun 26 22:30:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:56:59 -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>   Yup, you're absolutely right.  Fedora is NOT the universe.  And anyone
> who expects Fedora to take the universe into consideration is going to be
> profoundly disappointed.

I don't think you work for Red Hat, but regardless it says on the Fedora
about page:

 "The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to
  build a complete, general purpose operating system"

which by definition means it needs to take the universe into
consideration. If it doesn't then it's not, by any widely accepted
definition of the word, an operating system.

One of the goals is:

 "Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
  equivalent to competing operating systems"

Windows and MacOS have good backwards compatibility, and that's a
capability. So we need to match it.

Another goal is:

 "Provide a robust development platform for building software,
  particularly open source software."

But a platform that constantly shifts, changes, and in which parts
disappear at a moments notice is not robust.

Yet another goal is:

 "Emphasize usability and a "just works" philosophy in selecting default
  configuration and designing features."

But dropping GCC 3.3 C++ support from the default configuration makes it
less Just Works and more like the Linux we know from the old days:
requires fiddling and expertise to make it work.

I think you see my point.

thanks -mike