Desktop memory consumption was: Re: TM

Kjartan Maraas kmaraas at broadpark.no
Mon Jun 27 15:10:52 UTC 2005

man, 27,.06.2005 kl. 08.06 -0400, skrev OmniUni:
> I see the trademark difficulty.
>
> Perhaps "Lite Hat Linux" or something similar would work better?
> Either way, I feel that in order to assure such features as
> compatability, being up to date, and consistant quality, it is
> important that whatever the project be called, it be closely developed
> with fedora core. Though Cobind seems neat, and I will probably try
> it, the combination of Nautilus+XFCE makes me somewhat nervous. I have
> used gnome-panel with KDE, and Kicker with XFCE, but upon lauching
> nautilus while working on my FC-LT package selection, I ended with
> such a mess that it took no less than 20 minutes to sort out, and I
> promptly "rpm -e"'d nautilus.
>
> Also note: I attempted to run GNOME on my dad's p3, 128MB/RAM,
> computer last night. Kernel had to kill all processes to free up
> memory. KDE was slow, but at least the kernel didn't have to get
> involved. I'm afraid GNOME is definately not suited for lower end
> computers, at least not yet.

Please be more specific with regards to what "attempted to run GNOME"
really means. I'm writing this from Evolution with a 3 GB local
mailstore and while not hugely pleasant it works at least. I've also got
a terminal running and xchat along with the normal panel and nautilus.

Applets:

- cpu frequency monitor
- battery monitor
- gnome-dictionary
- volume control
- clock applet
- Network Manager applet
- tasklist
- workspace switcher
- notification area

[kmaraas at localhost ~]$ free
Mem:        125792     123460       2332          0        484      14304
-/+ buffers/cache:     108672      17120
Swap:      1048568     178912     869656

I guess I could easily free up some more memory if I went with a
non-translucent panel and a fixed color background instead of this huge
image I have there now. That and a slimmer evolution would make things
absolutely workable IMO.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had expected much worse
behaviour after reading your message ;-)

Cheers
Kjartan