motherboard autodetect and autoconfig of motherbord specific stuff

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jun 30 12:23:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Lately I've run into some stuff wich needs tweaking to get it 100% which
is motherboard dependend. Things which (may need) motherboard specific
tweaks are:
-lm_sensors
-xorg.conf for mainbords with builtin graphics
  (Option "VBERestore" "true" for i810 for example)

So now I'm thinking about creating somekinda hwautodetect and autoconfig
architecture and program for this.

Questions:
-good/bad idea?
-anyone willing to help?
-how can one detect the exact mainboard (Producer, type, rev)?
  Ideas:
  -memmap the bios, checksum it
  -memmap the bios get identifier string, match to a regex
  -combine the above with PCI id matching for chipset (extra check)
-which motherboardspecific settings can be benefitial?
  So far I have:
  -lm_sensors
  -xorg.conf for mainbords with builtin graphics
   (Option "VBERestore" "true" for i810 for example)
  -onboard sound tweaks??
-what database backend to use?
  preferably one which is already required by the core of most distros
  (This is primarily targeted at Fedora, but I would like to make it
   distro independent if possible)
-what is a good implementation language for this?
  I'm thinking about a C-python mix, C for the detection, python for the
  rest.

Regards,

Hans