Hacking modversions

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Mar 2 21:11:35 UTC 2005

--On Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:10 PM -0800 "Barry K. Nathan"
<barryn at pobox.com> wrote:

> Perhaps DKMS would be a more suitable solution then...

I'm reading the white paper and this looks like something that should be in
Fedora, at least in Extras if not in Core. This paper posted on the DKMS
project page is a pretty approachable introduction for driver developers
and sysadmins:

<http://linux.dell.com/dkms/dkms-ols2004.pdf>

I was surprised when looking at my FC2 RPM directory that DKMS wasn't
included, given how useful this looks.

I'm not so much interested in drivers as experimental modules like the
latest stuff in netfilter. (The U32 match target and the TARPIT destination
look intriguing.) RH has a policy of not including these in its kernels,
which is reasonable for the majority of users, but it would be great to be
able to use something like DKMS to package and install these without
needing a custom-compiled kernel.