Targetting OEM's (Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 16:59:27 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 02:01 -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > yes. thats part of the solution. thanks for the
> > pointer. However fedora projects needs to do something
> > like this in a official way. maybe update the ISO
> > images every other week or so with all the updates
> > till then.
> > Targetting OEM's probably requires more than just this
>
> As an OEM thats not going to work.  We master the original CDs with our
> logos and Fedora's logos and such.  This is a rather large cost at
> release time, but we have to do it in a big chunk.  To do this every
> week is insane.  Instead we maintain an 'update' CD we burn manually and
> sticker label that we send w/ the system for re-install purposes.
> Making this CD available for use DURING install is a good goal.

Unfortunately, if you try to use it during the install process, you end
up having to switch CDs a bazillion times due to package ordering
concerns.  That or you have to do some ugly things with precaching
packages to be installed on the hard drive.

And that's assuming there aren't significant dependency changes that
throw things more for a loop :/

Jeremy