MySQL Version

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:55:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:51:36 -0500, Eric Warnke <eric at snowmoon.com> wrote:
> That's why I used the list command and not an install command.  Should
> we treat users on the development list like idiots?  If you don't want
> users looking into development, then you should take the repo out of
> release versions of Fedora Core.

Its not about treating them like idiots.  In this case... and in many
cases.. users are ignorant of what the development tree actually is in
relation to the release trees.  Just pointing them to the rawhide
tree.. and acknowledging that it exists does not help inform them of
what to expect and does not prepare them for the basic facts of life
associated with mitigating rawhide related breakage.

Whether or not a user decided to use rawhide packages is up to them..
but its very important they make an informed decision about the
matter.  If you are going to point someone to the development tree..
its vital you take the time to try to explain to them what the rawhide
tree is and what to expect from it.  On good days rawhide eats babies
on bad days rawhide will lay waste to whole civilizations. Rawhide can
only be used effectively it is appropriately feared and respected.
Anyone who pulls from rawhide erronously thinking its similar to
updates-released or even updates-testing for a core release.. is
ill-informed and should not using rawhide.  Its up to us, the
experienced testers to make sure new users/testers come the the bloody
rawhide feast with the appropriate state of mind.

-jef