A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:07:06 UTC 2005

The idea of being able to randomly access portions of a new update RPM
by doing byte range requests is interesting. It could in theory reduce
the size of the delta file.  However this only saves on mirror *disk
space*. It does not reduce bandwidth consumption: the client still has
to download this either in the delta file or by separate byte range
requests.

Looking at the size of the updates directory of the FC3/i386 (8GB+) I
doubt that mirror maintainers would notice another GB or two.

Anyhow, I would propose that any such delta RPM system allow more than
one delta algorithm to be used, so if people come up with clever
algorithms in future we can seamlessly incorporate it into the system
without breaking anything already out there.

Joe.