anaconda mkfs.xfs problem

Lars Hamann list at bistromatic.de
Sun Mar 20 11:17:56 UTC 2005

Hi,

installing fc4t1 I found, a anaconda/xfs problem. Anaconda was unable to
format a xfs-partition. The bug report (#151378) was closed with
"wontfix", because xfs is unsupported. While this is fine with me, I
wondered how anaconda-xfs support was broken, because it works in fc3.
So I looked into it myself and found the problem in fsset.py.
anaconda-10.1.0.2 did the following:

    rc = iutil.execWithRedirect("/usr/sbin/mkfs.xfs",
                                ["mkfs.xfs", "-f", "-l", "internal",
                                 devicePath ],
                                stdout = "/dev/tty5",
                                stderr = "/dev/tty5")

anaconda-10.2.0.28 changed that to:

    rc = iutil.execWithRedirect("/usr/sbin/mkfs.xfs",
                                ["mkfs.xfs", "-f", "-l", "internal",
                                 "-i size=" + str(entry.bytesPerInode),
                                 devicePath ],
                                stdout = "/dev/tty5",
                                stderr = "/dev/tty5")

This is wrong in two ways. First this line is executed as:
mkfs.xfs "-f" "-l" "internal" "-i size=4096" >/dev/tty5 2>&1
But "-i size=4096" is not one parameter. It must be two parameters.
And second, xfs max inode size is 2048 (as far as I know).

So I think that change should be reverted or it should be changed to
something like:

    xfsBytesPerInode = 2048
    if entry.bytesPerInode < 2048:
        xfsBytesPerInode = entry.bytesPerInode

    rc = iutil.execWithRedirect("/usr/sbin/mkfs.xfs",
                                ["mkfs.xfs", "-f", "-l", "internal",
                                 "-i", "size=" + str(xfsBytesPerInode),
                                 devicePath ],
                                stdout = "/dev/tty5",
                                stderr = "/dev/tty5")

(please excuse my bad python, it's not my native language :)

So what can I do? Can I reopen the bug or something?

Regards,
   Lars

--
Lars Hamann <list at bistromatic.de>