Status of USB install support in FC4 Test1?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 17:04:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:36:05 +0100 Bernd Bartmann <bernd.bartmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:58:31 -0800, Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:56:36 +0100 Bernd Bartmann <bernd.bartmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > what's the status in FC4 Test1 for install support to USB storage
> > > devices. []

> > Also please pardon me asking, but why would you want this? It sounds like
> > a crackpot idea to me. Do you want to have something like Fedoppix on
> > a USB flash key? I am very interested to know what is the intended
> > application of such install.

> The intended application is a completely hard disk and fan-less system
> - no rotating parts --> no mechanical problems (broken fans or hdds).
> With 4GB and even 8GB CF-Cards and a passively cooled VIA C3 CPU
> available it is easy to build such a system as a thin client or
> firewall machine.

Bernd, thank you for the explanation. You forgot to mention that your
CF card is inserted into a USB adapter, but it's documented in the bug.
This seems like an imaginative use, so perhaps we ought to support
running from those, although I would rather see a special distro for
things like these, such as the one in MDK's Small Router project.

BTW, I am afraid you may be in for a surprise, as (most) CF cards do
not have built-in write levelling and using ext3 on those might cause
a premature failure.

-- Pete