Q on yum cleanup

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 23 07:33:00 UTC 2005

> This would do as well.
>
> I know Seth just hates Rawhide, multiple conflicting repositories and
> all the real-world stuff that makes his baby so much more convoluted
> than what he wanted to do at first. So my cunning plan is to nudge him
> in the direction I wanted yum to take from day one, hoping he's been
> exposed to Fedora Devel long enough it no longer rubs him too much in
> the wrong places.
>
> Your proposal OTOH might be a little too obvious to be accepted at this
> stage;)

Right now any plans for making yum pass over broken deps is not going to
happen.

However, I think I may have a compromise position that I'm trying (in my
copious free time) to work on.

Essentially you set drop_me_to_shell_on_error=True in your yum.conf and
if yum gets a certain set of problems it will maintain state and drop
you to the yum shell to fend for yourself. This means that you'll be
able to muck with the transaction set and packages yum thinks is
available and then rerun the transaction.

Right now things to do:
 - a fair bit of additional items in the shell
 - write the handler for exiting from the cli to the shell on errors
 - test all of it out :)

hth
-sv