menus, Name/GenericName

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 28 13:53:35 UTC 2005

> Huh?  What's broken about
> Name (GenericName)
> and/or
> (GenericName) Name
> ???
>
> Never have I seen it suggested that Name and GenericName be simply
> concatenated.  (Don't forget the parens).

Well I have... on a bugzilla.
I couldn't figure out why that is either - I can imagine
problems if languages read right-to-left, but I don't know exactly.

> If Fedora doesn't agree with this, they ought work upstream with
> freedesktop.org instead of inventing a new (more broken IMO)
> standard/scheme.

I think it was the freedesktop people that pointed this out.
I even saw a beta standard somewhere including that.
You'll make me dig this up, but I don't have time right now - I will
post some links later.

> > For non-defaults I think it was decided:
> > Name=Evolution Email
> > GenericName=Email  (or whatever the translation is).
>
> Which looks retarded for KDE users using either "Name (GenericName)" or
> "GenericName (Name)" menu displays.

Well, I use GNOME, so I don't know about that.
Anyway, as a proof that I'm not dreaming all of this look at the Firefox
and Gnumeric menu entries.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University