Firefox slows down pc......

Marcel J.E. Mol marcel at mesa.nl
Tue Mar 29 07:35:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:56:34AM -0500, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Peter Robinson wrote:
> > I have a similar problem with no flash (don't even have it installed)
> >where for some sites firefox cpu usage will go through the roof. The
> >site I find this happens the most often is actually the Fedora
> >downloads page where you have a listing for the entire distro seems to
> >just kill firefox but if you go to a mirror its OK rather annoying
> >since I'm often behind a firewall with no ftp access.
> >
> >(eg
> >http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/
> >)
>
> This is caused by the large amount of content being rendered in a <pre>.
> If we turn on IndexOptions HTMLTable, we can probably get much better
> performance out of the browser here.  Even older browsers such as lynx,
> w3m, links, etc handle tables fine, AFAIK.
>
> I just quickly hacked together a script and converted the HTML to use
> tables.  The difference is actually very noticable:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/caillon/ftp-current.html
> vs.
> http://people.redhat.com/caillon/ftp-tables.html
>
> My script wasn't perfect, so it isn't as pretty as it could have been I
> guess, but you get the idea.

Well, the tables version is much more readable and indeed is much quicker.
Maybe now it is possible to list the full package names, instead of the cut
off versions like "Glide3-devel-20010520-33.i386.rpm" instead of
"Glide3-devel-20010520-33.i386..>"

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.