kernel source code

not disclosed n0td1scl0s3d at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:42:54 UTC 2005

What exactly is the problem with including kernel-sourcecode?

It makes it easy to take someone else's driver and compile it against your
source, it makes it easy to nobble the source and recompile - I have spent
the last hour trying to install the source from
the src rpm following the instructions in
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
and I still don't have the source code so I still can't compile my drivers.
  I can't be arsed to repeat
this 20 times when I shift from fc2 in my lab - with the kernel-sourcecode
package I would "yum install kernel-sourcecode" and be done.

Removing the kernel-sourcecode is a retrograde step that goes against the
principle of packaging
stuff up - you are forcing the end user to learn a lot of largely useless,
arbitrary code rubbish in order to achieve their task.  The annoying thing
is that it doesn't seem to be saving anyone anything. The idea that it
causes harm by duplicating things that are available in the source is daft -
if you followed this to its conclusion then you would stop distributingmost
binaries.

SA