fedora-devel-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 86

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Mar 1 04:02:56 UTC 2005

On 02/28/2005 08:06:32 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> > Well if it's so great why isn't all the java and server stuff
> placed
> in
> > Extras? Developers and sys-admins know how to find stuff.
>
> I believe the reason for this was already discussed in this list.
> basically this is the first time Free java has become good enough to
> be shipped with a distro and since fedora developers did the major
> work in bringing it up to this point they want to push it better.

I think most Java stuff belongs in JPackage.org - and that JPackage.org
should have a repo file in default install. That may not happen because
RH does not have oversight of JPackage.org - but I do think that is the
best way to do java. A JRE with browser plugin in core though I think
would be the right thing, but everything else Java, it really should
(imho) leverage the JPackage "package ecosystem", which really rocks.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/