I want more CDs in the distribution

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Mar 1 04:22:48 UTC 2005

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Monday, February 28, 2005 7:02 PM -0300 Pedro Fernandes Macedo
> <webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br> wrote:
>
>> One example to answer the question: I'm a computer science student in
>> the
>> biggest university in my city (the 3rd
>> biggest capital of brazil). And guess what? Until recently (at least 1
>> year ago), I was the only one with a DVD burner (the Digital Image
>> Processing
>> Lab bought a dvd burner 4 months after me and my best friend just bought
>> one). 3 burners in an universe of 1500+ people gives an idea on
>> how hard would it be to burn that media ....
>

> The prices dropped fast recently, at least in the US. I bought an
> external USB2 burner maybe two years ago, for $400, and now an
> internal drive can be had for about $70, and a USB2 enclosure for
> maybe another $50. Has Brazil seen any of that drop?

Only now they're starting to drop.. When I bought my burner , it was
around R$500,00 (which is around US$180,00). Currently , the cheapest
dvd burner is R$292,00 , while a cd burner can be found for R$79,00 (or
R$98,00 if you want a better brand)...  And there's also the media
availability/price issue. A generic no name 4x media (or anything worse
than that) is around R$4,00. A CDR is around R$1,00 (even for good
brands).  And the DVD-+RWs are worse... When I bought my burner , I had
to order online some Samsung DVD-RW , since the noname ones were so good
that my burner considered them as DVD-R ... And they were around R$15,00
each...

--
Pedro Macedo