I want more CDs in the distribution

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 1 09:14:09 UTC 2005

On Mar 1 mars 2005 0:48, Gerald Henriksen a écrit :
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:49:19 +0100 (CET), you wrote:
>
>>Yet another alternative:
>>
>>Postpone FC4 until both Anaconda repo support and Fedora Extras are
>> ready,
>>and let FC3 evolve more controlled over the stretched period. Preparing
>>FC4 will result in spending less resources in Anaconda and Fedora Extras.
>
> I am beginning to think this is the best idea.
>
> Delay Fedora Core 4 for 6 months.
>
> This hopefully gives  time to get Anaconda and all the other relevant
> bits set up to allow for a distribution that is made up of 2 parts
> (Core and Extras).  Prehaps even rename them to better reflect that
> they are of equal value.
>
> It also gives more time to allow the things people are aiming to try
> and include (gcc 4, java, openoffice.org 2) to get ready as well as
> get people and mirrors used to Extras.

There's always some almost ready next big thing we should wait for.
Slipping a bit is reasonnable.
Slipping a lot is a good way to stay stuck indefinitely.
This is why rolling releases à la rawhide and frequent releases à la FC
are good - with them "stuff to be looked at for next release" does not
pile up to the point it's impossible to manage.

(IMHO, BTW this is the reason the FC project continued to exist even when
RH management was less than convinced about it - the release schedule of
RHEL makes it pretty impossible to jump directly from one release to the
other without some intermediate steps between them.)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot