More package pruning - i18n

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at predichem.com
Tue Mar 1 11:49:54 UTC 2005

With all the talk about package removal I thought I'd drop my $0.02 in
as well.

One set of packages that take up a _lot_ of space is the language/i18n
support packages. (I didn't check the exact size, but I think it's in
the vicinity of 300-400 MB?) The vast majority of people will only need
support for either one language in addition to English or none at all,
so I think these are a prime candidate for Extras. Before anyone starts
screaming, let me explain how I envision this (and for the record I'm
Norwegian, so please don't call me ignorant :))

Anaconda should of course retain it's language support for people who
either don't know English or are more comfortable using their native
language. Then, either:

a) During the Anaconda install, ask the user if they would like support
for any additional languages. If they selected a different language for
the install process this should be tagged off automatically. Have yum
(or whatever) pull these packages from Extras and install them during
firstboot.

b) If it's difficult to put this in Anaconda, move the process to the
firstboot setup process.

Now that the i18n stuff for OO.org has been split up this becomes more
viable thatn it was before.

For distributors/people with limited bandwidth I think the language
stuff could be packaged onto a separate Locale ISO (ooh, that brought
out some nostalgia from the Amiga days :))

Am I making any sense here? Arguments for/against?

Regards,
--
Tarjei