Entering the DVD age...

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 14:24:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 09:06 -0500, Paul A Houle wrote:
> First,  the world is moving towards DVD.

Its interesting having a look round here.

My home boxes have DVD (and thats the preferred method of installation -
a DVD is a good way of moving several days of continuous download over
ADSL).

However at work I see things are somewhat different:-
      * Laptops mostly have DVD (read) capability
      * Desktops normally have no optical media, if they do have any its
        CD-ROM
      * Servers, including absolutely current kit from main
        manufacturers, have CD-ROM drives.  None here have DVD drives
        (although a Sun 3500 from 1999 does have DVD capability).

This actually isn't a problem as from my point of view the required
installation kit is a 80MB CD and a network connection.

However I think moving to DVD only is a non starter at this point in
time.

As a mirror admin I would like to have another way of packaging that
does not require me to keep unpacked, CD and DVD images around.

	Nigel.