I want more CDs in the distribution

Daryll Strauss daryll.strauss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:56:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:44:08 +0100, Karel Zak <kzak at redhat.com> wrote:
> You forgot important things:
>
> - We need more package maintainers for this extra work
> - and more time for development
> - and more time for testing
>
> I think Debian has experience with huge number of packages. The cost of
> this work is huge too.

I don't think you understood what I wrote.

I don't want more packages. I'm suggesting more CDs. The suggestion is
to store the same number of packages, but split over more CDs.

A number of people are arguing for a smaller core in order to reduce
the download size and install time and splitting the CDs up in some
reasonable way achieves that without requiring pruning.

This is also independent of who maintains different packages. It would
be possible to have extras exist with 3rd parties maintaining
packagages and still include them in a disc of a distribution if
that's desired.

We all hope to have the bright shiney new systems in place by FC5, but
splitting the distribution into more CDs is a transitional step
between the monolithic distribution we have today and the new system.
It seems like a reasonable solution for FC4 and a safety net for FC5
if that is needed.

- |Daryll