Hacking modversions

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 18:56:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 18:43 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to propose that kernel updates release via fedora-updates use the
> same modversions.h as the last one if there were no interface
> changes. I know that may be a controversial proposal, but read on.
>
> For security fixes, it's rare (but not impossible) that a kernel interface
> changes.

In practice those ALWAYS change. That's just speaking from experience.
Fedora doesn't have kernel updates that are "just" minimal security
fixes. And even with those it's really hard to not break the internal
abi (or even to know you didn't break the abi, since there is no abi
definition or no way to really check it) to the point that it's ALWAYS
better to just recompile. Once you're set up for that, there's no point
in doing weird hacks for the 1 in 100 where you could avoid the
recompile; it's then so rare that it becomes REALLY fragile and just
breaks more than it fixes.