reducing distribution CD count

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 13:04:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:24:58AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hehe, I've had several people complain about 'random' crashes, usually
> when they arrived at work in the morning or came back from coffee. All of
> them related to 3D screensavers :)

The 3D screensavers don't seem to be the big problem always. The shipped ones
are pretty dumb in terms of 3D usage anyway. We've actually had a longer
history of problems with servers because there are utterly weird functions in
X that come under the "hindsight" category which only Screen savers use

> Maybe disabling 3D screensavers by default (and/or a warning about the
> potential to crash when people open the screensaver configuration) would
> reduce the uncomfortable (unstable) feeling people got when using Linux in
> these cases.

Or fix the 3D drivers - they are definitely getting a lot more stable now