FC5 anaconda

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 13:23:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 10:04 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 02:49:23PM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> > I believe I understand how this will (could) all work for an Internet
> > connected system where, basically, you do a network install for a lot of
> > that packages (especially those in Fedora Extras). However, how about the
> > unconnected system? What is the thinking on how it will handle installing
> > everything from CD or DVD images? Will there be CD and/or DVD iso images
> > for Extras or will we need to roll our own?
>
> I'm hoping for the multiple-extras-flavors (Extras:Java / Extras:Games /
> Extras:Whatever), which could each have CDs. But I think that network
> install is going to be more and more the way.

Yeah, network install from a local mirror is definitely the way.  With
CDs there's just no way to avoid the scenario where we have you swap
discs up front to read repodata, and then wind up going through all of
them *again* during the actual install.

It should be doable, of course, but it'll be a painfully high level of
user interaction for an install.  Whereas with a local mirror, you can
do network install pretty easily.

It's not yet clear exactly which of these features will land in FC5 and
which will take longer, but this is the route everybody has agreed we're
headed in.

--
        Peter