reducing distribution CD count

Jamie Zawinski jwz at jwz.org
Wed Mar 2 19:59:38 UTC 2005

Alan Cox wrote:

> The 3D screensavers don't seem to be the big problem always. The shipped ones
> are pretty dumb in terms of 3D usage anyway. We've actually had a longer
> history of problems with servers because there are utterly weird functions in
> X that come under the "hindsight" category which only Screen savers use

Wow, that has totally not been my experience at all (either personally,
or in the slew of "you crashed my server!" mail I get.)  It's *always*
one of the GL ones.

In fact, the only non-GL saver I can recall having gotten a crash report
about was "blaster", which uses such esoteric functions as XDrawLine and
XFillArc.

Years ago, Solaris used to like to crash if you use XSHM, but Linux
never had that problem.

> Or fix the 3D drivers - they are definitely getting a lot more stable now

I guess I must grudgingly agree with this.

After all, now that I'm running recent non-free nvidia drivers on a
recent-but-not-too-recent card, it's the first time since I stopped
using Irix in 1998 that I'm able to wake up to a non-wedged X server.
Multiple days in a row!

Truly it is a new golden age.

--
Jamie Zawinski      jwz at jwz.org                  http://www.jwz.org/