reducing distribution CD count

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 20:58:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 13:36 -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > And to debug 3D. We no longer have any way to debug 3D problems on Fedora
> > with packages we know the client side of and build form.
>
> In my experience, xscreensaver is going to give the 3d hardware a much
> more extensive workout than any given game.  Maybe this has changed in
> the latest Rawhide (I haven't checked) but it used to be that a Gnome
> install came with the full complement of 3D savers.

This used to be true for me too but the new "exercises 3D drivers like
no other program" belongs to bzflag. Without fail every version has
found something wrong in the binary nvidia drivers. The latest bzflag
(version 2) now triggers a problem that causes X to take 100% of the CPU
and nearly stops task switching completely.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/