kernel-2.6.11-1.1166_FC4.src.rpm

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Mar 4 04:32:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:37:19PM -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> The config files, themselves have a "DO NOT EDIT" legend. Text editing
> these is perilous because they are ambiguous. Moreover, using the Linux
> tools (make config or make menuconfig) eliminates the potential for
> selecting mutually exclusive options. In addition, the Linux tools
> automatically add dependent options. You cannot do either by editing a
> text file.

Okay, that all sounds reasonable, but must be missing something here in your
chain of logic getting from this to your complaint. Why not
use the config tools?

> Kernel rpm builds are different from most other rpm builds. In most
> other cases, customizing the package means customizing the ./configure
> options which are clearly apparent in the spec file. That's simply not
> the case with kernels.

In most cases that I deal with, customizing the package means adding
additional patches or source files. The kernel RPM is kind of big and crazy,
but fundamentally no different in this respect.