Follow-up - kernel.src Issue

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Mar 4 16:17:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 08:07 -0800, Shahms King wrote:

> You are, fortunately, wrong on this point.  I created a custom kernel
> (RPM no less) just last night after using 'make gconfig' to choose the
> options. Here's a quick HOWTO for building and customizing a kernel RPM:
>
> rpm -ivh kernel.src.rpm
> rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.6.spec
>
> cd $RPM_BUILD_DIR/kernel-2.6.x/linux-2.6.x
> cp $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/kernel-2.6.x-$arch.config .config
>
> make {x,g,menu,}config
>
> cp .config $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/kernel-2.6.x-$arch.config
>
> cd $RPM_SPEC_DIR/
> rpmbuild -bb --target=$arch kernel-2.6.spec
>
> If you don't want to build an RPM, it's easier.

OK, that eliminates manually applying the patches. However, it seems
like considerably more work than just spinning out a kernel-source.rpm
from src.rpm. Moreover, it lacks the portability of kernel-source.rpm.
Again, I'm NOT asking for a distribution of kernel-source; Just
retaining the options.

I just don't understand why the change was made. It fixed what weren't
broke.