64bit clean AMD64?

Jerone Young jerone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:38:46 UTC 2005

I would question what you mean by "clean". It is clean already. 64-bit
libraries and 32-bit libraries are clearly separated and there is no
confusion. Most of your apps are compiled 64-bit , some with 32-bit
libraries for backward compatibility. Not every app (open office for
instance) is 64-bit ready. You know the difference is that IA-64 has
NO backward compatibility with anything else. There is a lot of
software that written for Linux (non open source of course) that is
compiled for 32-bit Linux (the most popular Linux). Your system is
going to run at the same speed with or without 32-bit libraries. Also
as mentioned above you can just manually remove them if they bother
you that much. But you may one day need a program that is not 64-bit
ready.  I think your wining is ridiculous.