Including OO templates in fc4

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Mar 5 21:00:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 18:50 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> lør, 05.03.2005 kl. 16.49 skrev Josh Boyer:
> > On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 16:08 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

> > > I know that we are aleady pushed for space, but including a few kb's of
> > > templates to the huge package OO already is, seems nothing but
> > > reasonable, especially considering the end-user benefit.
> >
> > I think this is a Fedora Extras candidate.  Entire packages that are
> > only a few KiBs are being pushed out to Extras, so I don't think we want
> > to add anything that isn't needed to the core OO package.

> I probably could, but i simply just don't think this is an extras
> candidate. Users simply expect templates to be there, or at least a box
> "you need to install xxx from yyy to get templates".

As I understand it, many (all) of the packages being moved from Core to
Extras are being 'pushed out' (as you put it) because they offer
duplicate functionality.

In the case of adding some templates for OOo, then your wouldn't be
adding another package for which the functionality was already available
(but might not be your preferred package), you are actually adding very
useful functionality for many, many users who will only use Fedora for
word processing, web browsing and email (a fairly simply, but standard
set of uses for the vast majority of desktop users who may do one or two
other things, but will almost always do these things).

Rodd