Including OO templates in fc4

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Mar 7 11:20:57 UTC 2005

Ian Laurenson wrote:

> I do not have any official position or responsibility within
> OpenOffice.org - simply a keen member of the community. I have been
> actively writing macros and documentation for OpenOffice.org. See:
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/

my position inside OpenOffice.org is very small (co-lead of a Native
Language project) but i believe i can offer a valuable view

> An initiative by Daniel Carrera has been to put together a package of
> templates, art and macros for OpenOffice.org. See:
> http://website.openoffice.org/tryouts/dcarrera/download/contribute.html

at the time, i tried to help Daniel in pushing his package but without
great success.
this theme, of including extras in OOo to put it at least on the same
level with Star Office, appear periodically, have many supporters in the
community, but does not get to any real results.

> While this is a reasonable stop-gap measure, I personally don't see it
> as a good long term solution. My proposed idea follows.
>
> Write a template and extension installer. This is being worked on at the
> moment and the expertise that you people could bring to this project
> would be of immense value. I have put together a first attempt at a
> wizard to help people select available templates and extensions, and at
> the click of a button download and install them.

you mean something like the existing font installer and dictionary
installer?
Fedora has it's own package management and should use it because is better

> I look forward to your discussion and input to a template and extension
> installer for OpenOffice.org.

i want to propose more: why not include also (in Extras, of course) a
clipart package, based on the Open Clip Art Library
(www.openclipart.org, in the soon to be announced new release we have
around 2900 images) to increase the value added in the Fedora's OOo

--
nicu