Rpmbuild/permissions/nvidia module

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 8 04:18:50 UTC 2005

I have a question about how rpmbuild works.
The livna nvidia kernel module package installs the following two files:

/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1171_FC4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia
/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1171_FC4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia.ko

... never mind the kernel number.

Now, I can verify that after the install stage (rpmbuild -bi),
there exists a module directory, and a module inside it
in the /var/tmp root. They both have permission mask 755.

However, if I install the resultant rpm, the nvidia folder
gets installed with mask 644 (??), and the module inside it
with mask 644 (vs. 744 for everything else). This causes depmod
to fail with dac_override denials in strict policy selinux.

Now,

Question 1:
Is the permission mask in /var/tmp following the install stage
supposed to match the final permissions?

Question 2:
If so, why is it 755/755, and not 755/744, which seems right
judging by other modules installed.

Question 3:
What makes it change from 755/755 to 644/644 (which is completely wrong)
between the install stage and the final rpm.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University