A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:28:30 UTC 2005

Any reason why people hate it?  I really can't see any downsides to
this as an enhancement to the current system.

I think the logic needed is something like this:
The up2date system checks if a RPM of software to be updated is
available locally. If not, up2date carries on as normal. If the RPM is
available it checks for a suitable diff file in the archive. If found
it downloads the diff, applies the patch and passes the resulting RPM
for processing as normal. If there is no diff, up2date downloads the
full RPM as normal.

Joe.