Fedora repository layout proposal

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 11 21:44:07 UTC 2005

Gene C. wrote:

>On Thursday 10 March 2005 09:30, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>

>>If you are going to split out SRPMS/debuginfo (wise imho), then you
>>should also consider splitting
>>multilib arches into seperate repositories.
>>

>I also believe that splitting might be a good idea.
>
>That said, do you (Jeff) mean that on a x86_64 system, the i386 multilib
>updates would be pulled from the i386 repo rather than from the x86_64 repo
>as it now does?

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. FWIW, multilib packages are combined
in a single
directory at the last possible moment, otherwise the entire packaging
process that
ends up in a repository is per-arch.

>I can see lots of benefits (less disk space on mirrors) but also a potential
>problem -- when updating a package for multiple architectures, you need to
>make sure that it builds on all architectures supported or none of the
>updated packages gets propagated to their respective repositories ...
>otherwise, things could get out-of-sync easily.

Issues like out-of-sync, or multiple architecture updates, are not made
any worse
by separating, say, i386 and x86_64 and moarch packages,. Having the
packages in different
directories (including noarch) is perhaps easier to understand and debug
than having
everything slopped into a single repository directory.

OTOH, where the packages are located, including *.src.rpm and
*-debuginfo*.rpm, ultimately makes
little difference if tools are designed to filter according to
convention. The filtering is more easily
implemented, and more obvious to most users, if packages are in separate
directories imho.

73 de Jeff