USB card reader gone again

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Mar 11 21:05:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 20:48 +0000, Paul wrote:
> usb 3-3: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7
> usb 3-3: hald timed out on ep0in
> usb 3-3: hald timed out on ep0in
> usb 3-3: hald timed out on ep0in

Here I can see that you're running hal 0.4.7, right?

> scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 1 channel 0
> id 0 lun 0
> usb-storage: device scan complete

<snip>

usb-storage driver is broken; news at 11.

> One other odd thing is that if I double click on the "computer" icon,
> none of my CD, DVD or Zip drives show and inserting a disc into the
> drive is not auto-mounting, so the problem may be elsewhere.

Problem is that the kernel puts hald in state D so most things related
to auto configuration of storage devices in user space just stops to
work.

This is sort-of "fixed" in hal 0.5.0 (which just entered Rawhide) since
we do fs probing etc. in separate processes. Unplugging/replugging the
reader with the new hald might fix up things but only on the surface
since hald child processes might be hanging in state D.

YMMV, but it works for me and a USB 2.0 card reader that exhibits the
same behavior - there's only so many hoops we can jump through to work
around broken drivers.

Cheers,
David