rawhide report: 20050312 changes

Derek Moore derek.p.moore at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:28:59 UTC 2005

> xorg-x11-6.8.2-10
> -----------------
> * Fri Mar 11 2005 Mike A. Harris <mharris redhat com> 6.8.2-10
> - Re-enable xorg-x11-6.8.2-xnest-shape-fix.patch which has been updated now
>   for 6.8.2 by Mark McLoughlin (#148763)
>
> * Thu Mar 10 2005 Mike A. Harris <mharris redhat com> 6.8.2-9
> - Disable xorg-x11-6.8.2-xnest-shape-fix.patch added in 6.8.2-8, as it does
>   not compile.
>
> * Thu Mar 10 2005 Mike A. Harris <mharris redhat com> 6.8.2-1.FC3.8test
> - Rebuild 6.8.2-8 as 6.8.2-1.FC3.8test for Fedora Core 3 testing release

I track Rawhide on my Toshiba Tecra 8200 laptop.  It has a Trident
CyberBladeXP video card.

When I finished syncing to Rawhide yesterday, which included upgrading
X to the above quoted packages, my X display quit working.  Instead of
normal operation, I get a completely white screen.  For the first few
seconds of X starting up, I can see the "x"-shaped mouse cursor, but
then that disappears into the whiteness, too.

If I switch out of X and to a virtual terminal, or if I kill X and get
thrown back to a virtual terminal, the video card stays garbled and I
can't use the terminals.  Most of the time the terminals are black
with white vertical strips every character column, but a few times it
turned the terminal background orange and the characters yellow.

I tried rebuilding the SRPM for X.Org in FC3 Updates, so I could
downgrade and get a working X again, but the compile didn't seem to
want to succeed with GCC 4.0.  (I haven't yet tried installing the
binary RPMs from FC3 Updates, I suppose they'll install if I have the
proper compat packages installed.)

Anyways, I just thought I'd report that X.Org 6.8.2 doesn't play well
with Trident CyberBladeXPs.

Other than that, thanks much for the high-quality, bleeding-edge,
surprisingly-stable Rawhide fun!

Peace out,

Derek