Old kernel RPMS

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Sun Mar 13 20:20:37 UTC 2005

> Otto Haliburton wrote:
>
> >well, my 02c is to get rid of the list police, the time spent on what is
> >appropriate for the list and what is inappropriate for the list is as big
> >waste of bandwidth as the original thread.  If a response is made to an
> >inquiry then it is appropriate otherwise it will die as all threads
> >eventually do.  Now see, I've wasted bandwidth by making my response.
> >

> I disagree. Responding encourages future attempts and will build like a
> snowball. Politely explaining the purpose of the list and the nature of
> their offtopic post is much etter longterm IMO. I have issues everyday
> that i would appreciate feedback from the experience developers/users on
> this list but recognize that time is valuable and that if they had time
> to spare to help my problem they'll read the appropriate list. The
> polite negative responses serve as a reminder to the silent operatives
> out there (like me) that this isnt the place to ask even though the
> people here do know the answer.
>
> However the original posters question was ontopic IMO and i have run
> into the unavailability kernel issue myself a number of times.

well, it seems to me that you don't need the list police, you are doing the
job yourself, if it ain't important enough for you to ask then you don't
need to send it to the list, but further more if you do send it to the list
then, it will be ignored if there are answer readily available for you.
Ideally, each person will search the knowledgebase prior to posting, and if
you do this, most of the time you will find the solution to your problems.
The problem that I see, is the one that is currently happening.  One person
thinks it is inappropriate and another thinks it is appropriate.  Further,
there is no such thing as a gentle negative.  So, get rid of the list police
and ignore inappropriate postings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!