GCC4 Portability

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Tue Mar 15 20:10:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 19:55 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:55:20 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > Sorry. I know as much about C as I do about B12.
> >
> > If I compile an rpm with gcc4, are there any problems associated with
> > installing that rpm on a machine running FC3 that I need to understand?
>
> Yes, this is a total swamp. I suggest you read this:
>
>   http://autopackage.org/docs/devguide/ch07.htm
>
> It's a little out of date, doesn't cover all the issues, is inaccurate in
> places etc but AFAIK it's the only documentation on this stuff that exists.

That's a remarkably authoritative and credible document then -;) It's
also beyond my level of comprehension but I get the idea. It's worse
than I thought. If I'm reading this correctly then the reverse is also a
potential problem (using FC3 rpms in FC4 test 1).

> The issue is likely to be not so much gcc4 as glibc, though gcc can cause
> occasional issues as well. If you only want to go back one revision of
> Fedora though you should not encounter any of them.
>
> You can use the apbuild tool to automatically fix many of these problems.

Hmm. Sorry I asked but thanks. I'm downloading FC4T1 now. This WILL be
interesting.