A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Thomas Hille thomas.hille at nightsabers.org
Wed Mar 16 00:44:13 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 15.03.2005, 15:12 -0800 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:51:43PM +0100, Thomas Hille wrote:
> >
> > While I need say that I also see the problem of having to strip a nice
> > packaged rpm apart before doing the diff involves some more code in to
> > get the job done. Which in turn involves more errors.
> >
> diff'ing files also ignores file permissions and rpm package metadata.

Don't get me wrong here. I just meant to diff two rpms in a way, were
you take apart the two rpms diff their content, (including _all_
metadata of course) put the diffs in some kind of container (prpms?).
Then, when the end-user would update the old installed rpm would be used
in conjunction with the diff-container to produce a new current rpm.

Maybe my point was not clear because I also mentioned single files on
the end-users computer. What I meant there was, you could recreate the
old installed rpm out of data mostly already present on the end-users
computer, instead of having to keep a copy of the rpm around.

Thomas