A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Mar 16 02:21:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:44:13AM +0100, Thomas Hille wrote:
> Don't get me wrong here. I just meant to diff two rpms in a way, were
> you take apart the two rpms diff their content, (including _all_
> metadata of course) put the diffs in some kind of container (prpms?).
> Then, when the end-user would update the old installed rpm would be used
> in conjunction with the diff-container to produce a new current rpm.

I wonder if Jigdo would work.  The component files would be downloaded
separately, along with the jigdo template file.  These would be
combined on the client end to form the original rpm file, identical in
every way.