Kernel du Jour?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 18:24:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:59:47AM -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
 > Korg released YAKV this morning - 2.6.11.4 (unfortunately without a
 > change log). Does this suggest a problem or is there a new release
 > policy? Fedora rawhide - at least thus far - doesn't seem to have
 > updated for any of the sub-versions. Is there a reason for that?

FC2 is probably going to stay on 2.6.10 until end of life.
It's only going to get security fixes from now on.
I toyed with the idea of doing another rebase to .11 before EOL,
but the problem is rebasing brings just as many bugs as it fixes,
and it would mean we'd need to make a bunch of userspace updates again.
Given rebasing the kernel would just create work for a bunch of people,
I chose the safe but boring option.

FC3 has a rebase to 2.6.11.x in progress. Madmen^WEarly-adopters
can grab this from http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC3
It'll go to updates-testing really soon, its finally passing my
basic sanity tests, and userspace seems to work ok without any
other updates. (Though you can guarantee I've missed something).

FC4 is aiming for a 2.6.12 release, so it's on 2.6.11 for test1
In a day or so, it'll jump to 2.6.11-bkX

		Dave