Openness: Apache as a guiding model (was Re: GFS removed??? )

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:17:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:46:42 +0100, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> I don't want to sign any agreement to be able to express my opinions,
> especially when they are unrelated to what the issue is about ... ?!?!

I believe you are freely expressing your opinions.. on this list..
without a problem.  And you are able to subscribe to the read-only
list and follow maintainer discussions. As maintainer discussions
develop and you feel you have something to say... you can either talk
directly with a maintainer privately(if you have a good working
relationship with that maintainer, I would imagine private email to
voice your opinions could be very effective) or bring it up here for
wider discussion.

And I equally firmly believe that people who are subscribed to this
list as well as the fedora-maintainer list will evaluate the merit of
your opinions and incorporate the salient information you provide in
whatever on-going discussion the maintainers are having among
themselves and reach a consensous among themselves.  How maintainers
inside Core and Extras decide to deal with kernel modules..is one such
discussion.   I'm sure as we move forward, if you continue to decline
the opportunity to become an  Extras maintainer, you will have
opinions about many other discussions the fedora contributors want to
reach concensous on inside the scope of the Fedora process.  I think
history has proven that you'll find a way to express those opinions. I
have complete faith that you will truimph in all such future endeavors
to voice your concerns.

If you are under the assumption that opinions stated here will go
unnoticed, thats a problem. Let me correct that problem now.  I can
absolutely garuntee you that your opinions have been noticed and
individual maintainers who are subscribed to both lists are aware of
your opinions.  Whether or not maintainers who are listening to the
-devel-list incorporate your ideas, or bring them to the
maintainers-only list for infrastructure discussion is a personal
decision each maintainer will make on an invidual basis.   But be
assured, -devel-list is not completely ignored, there are maintainers
who make an effort to watch discussion in this list.  And I'm sure as
time goes on, how feedback about specific the maintainership is
handled will evolve.  But, again, people who commit to becoming
contributors inside the process have a more direct impact on
discussion with a seat at the decision making table.

-jef"like sands through an hourglass...so are the days of our lives"spaleta