Openness: Apache as a guiding model (was Re: GFS removed??? )

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Mar 18 02:54:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Colin Charles wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 20:52 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > OK, fine with me. You are loosing significant input (I'm not the only
> > 3rd party repo maintainer that ist staying out of closed doors), but I
> > hope you'll get to a decent result anyhow.
>
> If you are talking about packaging guidelines and want to further
> provide input, please use fedora-packaging list
>
> Maybe it was an oversight for Ville to post to fedora-maintainers, but
> if you had been reading the readonly copy of that list, you'd have
> definitely been able to spot such a grave error, and move said
> discussion to -packaging

Colin,

Ville was kind enough to inform us (Axel and me) about the ongoing
kernel-module packaging discussion on fedora-maintainers and wanted us to
be involved a few weeks ago. Apparently it was not possible to move this
discussion to fedora-packaging and it wasn't possible for Axel to provide
input on fedora-maintainers, as it was closed. (Not sure whether it was
already read-only back then as I was told it was closed)

I'm not that much involved, except that I talk in defense of Axel. He was
being blamed for having an unacceptable implementation because it wasn't
based on consensus.

It would have been more honest if was said that it wasn't acceptable
because Axel does not belong to the fedora maintainers. As that's a
requirement to join the discussion. I don't think he even has had the
opportunity to display his solution.

Everything else has been a fluff of hot air, politics and prejudice.

There's no reason for blaming Axel now that he didn't try to force the
discussion on another mailinglist, while everyone else that responded
until now is praising the fact that this is a closed mailinglist and how
well it serves the fedora maintainers.

I just wonder what would have been said if he did try and force it on
another mailinglist. I wonder why Axel still bothers anyhow...