Regression testing

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 21:37:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:14:21 -1000, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Quite often software, especially many perl modules, require network
> tests during "make test".  We may need to make a policy for Fedora that
> such tests *must* be in a %check section, because we may want the the
> build system to totally disallow network access for security reasons.

It would likely be useful to establish what sort of tests are
acceptable from a %check section...

Remote network tests might be useful for some things, but they really
aren't appropriate for inclusion in built time tests. Perhaps if tests
were split into a compact/exhaustive subsets they could be included in
the exhaustive set.

What sorts of restrictions would be acceptable for build time testing
of packages? Memory consumption? wall clock on platform x? temporary
disk space usage?