packages list

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:05:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:56:13 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev
<mricon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've considered it, but again, have not found that useful for someone
> who is looking at a package listing on the web. I may still add it,
> but "hidden" by default using styles, so clicking on a "[+] show
> dependencies" link will unhide it -- possibly the same with files. The
> concern is -- how much larger will that make the html files? There are
> packages with a gajillion bajillion files and dependencies. I think
> having a way to list files and dependencies from a package manager
> interface would make more sense.

And I could argue it would make more sense to be able to browse via a
package manager... via the same logic you just used here... thus
removing the need for this sort of webpage altogether.  I have no
problem with the dep info normally being hidden by default for the web
pages in an effort to not overwhelm the casual user. But the dep info
is valuable information to browse through at a central location, as
valuable as package name browsing depending on you goals.  Some
segments of the userbase do actually care about what deps get pulled
in. When looking for applications that perform a function, knowing if
it needs mono or java or kde or gnome or whatever does actually matter
sometimes.

-jef